Daily Memory Verse: “Let love be genuine. Abhor what is evil; hold fast to what is good. Love one another with brotherly affection. Outdo one another in showing honor (Romans 12:9-10 ESV).” http://bible.com/59/rom.12.9-10.ESV
- John 12:12-15 NASB: On the next day the large crowd who had come to the feast, when they heard that Jesus was coming to Jerusalem, took the branches of the palm trees and went out to meet Him, and began to shout, “Hosanna! Blessed is He who comes in the name of the Lord , even the King of Israel.” Jesus, finding a young donkey, sat on it; as it is written, “Fear not , daughter of Zion ; behold , your King is coming, seated on a donkey’s colt .”
- John 12:27-28 NASB: “Now My soul has become troubled; and what shall I say, ‘Father, save Me from this hour’? But for this purpose I came to this hour. Father, glorify Your name.” Then a voice came out of heaven: “I have both glorified it, and will glorify it again.”
- John 12:35-36 NASB: “So Jesus said to them, “For a little while longer the Light is among you. Walk while you have the Light, so that darkness will not overtake you; he who walks in the darkness does not know where he goes. While you have the Light, believe in the Light, so that you may become sons of Light.” These things Jesus spoke, and He went away and hid Himself from them.”
- John 12:37, 40 NASB: “But though He had performed so many signs before them, yet they were not believing in Him. “H e has blinded their eyes and H e hardened their heart , so that they would not see with their eyes and perceive with their heart , and be converted and I heal them .”
- John 12:46, 48 NASB: ” I have come as Light into the world, so that everyone who believes in Me will not remain in darkness. He who rejects Me and does not receive My sayings, has one who judges him; the word I spoke is what will judge him at the last day.”
- Lazarus’ sister, Mary, anointed Jesus’ feet with expensive oil and Judas Iscariot complained that the oil should rather have been sold and the proceeds given to the poor. What he said seemed good but in truth, his motives were wrong. He was secretly stealing money from the general purse. This is exactly what today’s memory verse is all about: genuine love. Loving without pretence.
- A large crowd had gathered to see Jesus because the news of Lazarus’ resurrection had spread and they wanted to see this Jesus. They also wanted to see Lazarus.
- The crowd was so excited to see Jesus that they shouted praises and cheered for him. Jesus was sitting on a donkey whole they cheered. This event had been predicted in the old testament.
- Jesus’ primary purpose for coming to earth was to die for our sins (v 27).
- When he played that God the Father be glorified, God did speak from Heaven (v 28) and the people were amazed.
- In spite of all the miracles Jesus had performed, many people still did not believe Him (v 38).
- Amongst the ones who did believe, many were afraid of other people’s disapproval. If we love Jesus, we must ignore other people’s opinions of us.
- Jesus spoke only what the Father commanded Him to (v 49,50).
Today’s Prayer: Father God, John 12:12-15 NASB show me your purpose for my life. May I fulfil this purpose and nay my life bring you glory. I choose your approval over that of men. In Jesus’ name I pray. Amen.
Please like, comment, share and subscribe. And stay connected:
This is a trustworthy saying, worthy of full acceptance: Christ Jesus came into the world to save sinners, of whom I am the worst. (1 Timothy 1:15 NLT)
© 2016, Foam·skee. All rights reserved.